Guglielmo Guido CONDORELLIAssociate Professor of [CHIM/03]
Phone: +39 095 738 5069
Office Hours: Tuesday from 11:00 to 13:00 | Thursday from 09:00 to 11:00 . Poichè sono possibili sovrapposizioni con altri impegni, si invitano gli studenti a preavvertire per e-mail
Prof. Guglielmo Guido Condorelli was born in 19-09-68 in Catania.
- 2006 - now: Associate professor of Inorganic Chemistry (SSD-Chim03) at the Chemical Departments of the University of Catania.
- Member of the “Consorzio Interuniversitario Nazionale per la Scienza e Tecnologia dei Materiali “ (INSTM)
- Italian National Qualification as full Professor of Inorganic Chemistry (03/B1: SSD-Chim03) from 2013 in the ASN 2012 and renewed in the ASN 2016 and as full Professors of Chemical basis of technology (03/B2 : SSD-Chim07) from 2017 in the ASN 2016.
- 2001-2006 : Assistant professor (SSD-Chim/03) at the Chemical Departments of the University of Catania.
- 1999-2001: Research fellowship in Inorganic Chemistry (SSD-C03X) in the Chemistry Department of the University of Catania
- 1997-1999: Post-Doc follewship at the Chemistry Department of the Catania University on a research project “Thick and thin film of superconductors:Chemical Vapor Deposition”
- 1996-1997 Visiting Scientist at the Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K, in the field of “in situ” monitoring of MOCVD processes under the supervision of Prof. Michael L. Hitchman.
1993-1996. Ph. D. in Chemistry at the University of Catania with a thesis on the “Study of Metal-Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition (MOCVD) processes of thin films” ( supervisor Prof. I. L. Fragalà).
1987-1992. Laurea cum Laude from the University of Catania.
Award and grants
FFARB-2017 grant award winner
“Federchimica sez. Neolaureati 1993”
“Consorzio Catania Ricerche 1992”
Research activity and bibliometric data
The research activity was focused in the field of the synthesis and characterization of inorganic materials. It can be divided in two lines: 1) synthesis of thin film through Metal-Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition (MOCVD) and 2) synthesis of nanomaterials through wet routes and their surface functionalization with molecular monolayers and Metal-Organic Frameworks.
The research activity produced 140 papers and some bibliometric parameters are (from Web of Science 18 Jan 2021): H-index = 32 and citation = 2933.
Coordination of Founded Research Projects
2020-2022 Principal Investigator (P.I.) Progetto “MatT-onE “ – linea 2 del PIAno di inCEntivi per la Ricerca di ateneo 2020/2022
2020-2021 Bando Chance – Piano della Ricerca 2016-18 Università di Catania
2016-2012. Local coordinator of the INSTM of Catania Research Unit of the FIRB project 2010 “Integrated Network for NanoMedicine – RINAME (RBAP114AMK).
2012-2015. Scientific coordinator of the activity 4.4 “Development and optimization of the anchoring processes of dyes” of the OR4 “DSSC of third generation” of the project PON 02_00355_3391233 ENERGETICS
2008-2010. National Coordinator of the project PRISMA (Call 01/2017) “Molecular systems grafted on silicon for integrated sensing devices” funded by Consorzio Interuniversitario Nazionale per la Scienza e Tecnologia dei Materiali (INSTM).
2006-2007 Technical supervisors of the research projects: "Studies of endodontic instruments made with superelastic alloys and the development of thin coating formation processes“ funded through a contract between the Chemistry Department of the Catania University and FKG S.p.A. La-Chaux-de-Fonds(Switzerland).
2004-2005 Technical supervisors of the research projects: “Study of the deposition processes of Bi, La and Ti precursors for application in MOCVD reactors equipped with DLI (direct liquid injection) systems“ funded through a contract between the Chemistry Department of the Catania University and Saes Getters S.p.A., Lainate (MI).
Co-investigator in research projects
Involved as co-investigator in several national (among which FIRS 2003, CNR Progetto Nazionale Materiali Avanzati, CNR Progetto Finalizzato, FIRB 2001 Prot. RBNE01YLKN_005, FIRB 2003 prot. RBNE033KMA, FIRB Piattaforme/Reti prot. RBPR05JH2P_020, PRIN 2001 prot. 2001038849_002, PRIN 2003 n. 20030393323_002, PRIN 2005 Prot. 2005031228_005, PRIN 2009 Prot. 20097X44S7_002, PON02_00355_2964193 Hippocrates, Progetto EE01_00003 Aladin del Progetto di Innovazione Industriale Bando Efficenza Energetica 2008, Progetto Misensar n. B01/000693/02/X17) and in international projects (Project IST-2000-30153-FLEUR contract and MSCA-ITN-2016 ENHANCE Project, Contract No. 722496) and collaborated in research projects with industries among which STMicroelectronics e Meridionale Impianti.
He performed reviewer activity for several international journals such as Chemical Vapor Deposition , Applied Surface Science, Surface Science, European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Thin Solid Films, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Surface Coating and Technologies, Nanoscale, Journal of Material Chemistry B and C, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Ceramics International, Analytical Methods, Journal of Power Sources, Materials Chemistry and Physics, Nanomaterials, Molecules.
He also performed reviewer activity of research projects for the European Research Council (ERC).
Invited contributions in journals, book and conferences
- 2018. Invited chapter “Multifunctional Magnetic Nanoparticles for Therapeutics Application” C. Tudisco, M.T. Cambria, G.G. Condorelli of the book “Biomedical Applications of Functonalized Materials” Eds. B. Sarmento, J. das Neves; Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 2017 Invited Oral “Organic Functionalized magnetic nanoparticles to overcome the biological barriers” in the 2017 EMN Meeting on Biomaterials, Ramada Plaza Milano, Milano, Italy, 14-18 August 2017.
- 2013 Invited lesson “ Surface Engineered Iron Oxide Nanoparticles: Synthetic Routes, Application and Perspectives” NanoMedicine School 2013 – Università di Trieste
- 2011. Invited review "Chemical engineering of silicon with functional molecules" (Sci. Adv. Mat. 2011, 3, 362) in the special issue "Nano-Engineered Silicon: Technology and Applications" in memory of G. Cerofolini of the journal Science of Advanced Matterials.
-2007. Invited paper “Engineered Si(100) surfaces for the gas-phase anchoring of metal beta-diketonate complexes” (Inorg. Chimica Acta 2007, 360, 170) in the special issue "Inorganic Chemistry - The Next Generation" for the 40° anniversary of the journal Inorganica Chimica Acta.
Academic teaching activity at the University of Catania.
- Inorganic Materials: Structures and Properties - Laurea in Chemical Science, curriculum in Chemistry of Materials (2020)
- Inorganic Chemistry of Materials II and Laboratory - Laurea in Chemistry and then Laurea in Chemistry of Materials (2005- 2020)
- Basic and Inorganic Chemistry and Laboratory (2° Module) - Laurea in Industrial Chemistry (2009- 2019)
- Structural Chemistry - Laurea in Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry ( 2002 – 2016 )
- Basic and Inorganic Chemistry Diploma Universitario of Material Science and Laurea in Science and Technologies applied to Heritage ( 2000– 2009)
- Basic and Inorganic Chemistry II and Laboratory - Laurea in Industrial Chemistry ( 2006 - 2009 and 2020 )
- Laboratory of Inorganic Chemistry of Materials - Laurea in Chemistry ( 2003- 2005)
- Laboratory of Chemistry (1° Module ) - Diploma Universitario of Material Science (2001)
- Materials and Solid State Chemistry – “Diploma Universitario” of Material Science. (1999)
- Other activities for Masters, Schools and PhD Courses
He was involved as supervisor in the formation activity of undergraduate and Ph.D. students in Chemistry and Material Science and several post-doctoral researchers.
He holds several lessons in the PhD courses and various schools.
2010 – now.He has been part of the teaching staff of the PhD schools ofScience and Technology of Materials and then of Science of Materials and Nanotechnologies.
- Other institutional activities
2019 – now. He has been the Director of the Course of Laurea in Chemistry of Materials LM-54.