Vincenzo CUNSOLOAssociate Professor of [CHIM/06]
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Phone: +39 095 738 5029
Office Hours: Monday from 09:00 to 11:00 | Friday from 09:00 to 11:00 A causa della possibile sovrapposizione con impegni istituzionali e non, si consiglia sempre di inviare una mail di preavviso
Associate Professor in Organic Chemistry (SSD CHIM/06)
- Organic Chemistry and Lab I: Mod.1 (6 CFU) and Mod.2 (6 CFU) - First Cycle Degree in Industrial Chemistry
- Bioorganic Chemistry and Proteomics (6 CFU) - Second Cycle Degree in Chemical Sciences (cv in Organic and Bioorganic Chemistry)
His research activity is mainly devoted to the structural characterization of food proteins by MS-based proteomics methods.
The results of his research activity have been presented in many national and international conferences, and published in more than 60 peer reviewed articles in international journals with impact factor.
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-2349-5494
Vincenzo Cunsolo graduated in 1998 with Summa cum Laude in Chemistry at the University of Catania. He obtained his PhD in Chemistry at the University of Catania in 2002. He attended, as PhD student, many courses, mainly focused on mass spectrometry. In 2003, supported by an EMBO Fellowship, he spent some months in Odense, Denmark, in the laboratory of Professor Peter Roepstorff working on proteomics of durum wheat gluten proteins. From 2003 to 2005 he was Post-Doctoral Fellow in Chemistry at the University of Catania. From 2006 to 2010 he was Temporary Research Fellow in Organic Chemistry. From 2010 to 2020 he was researcher of Organic Chemistry at the University of Catania. Since 1st March 2020 he has been working as Associate Professor of Organic Chemistry at the University of Catania. His research activity is mainly devoted to the structural characterization of proteins, with special relevance to the study of proteins in food, by MS-based proteomics methods. He has participated in many national and international projects, national and international conferences, and published about 60 peer reviewed articles in international journals with impact factor. He acts as referee of many international scientific journals.
Mass Spectrometry techniques; Liquid Chromatography; RP-nHPLC/nESI-MS; Protein Chemistry; Structural Characterization of Proteins and Peptides; Characterization of complex protein mixtures by proteomic approaches and bio-informatic tools.
(updated January 2021; from Scopus: https://www.scopus.com/search/form.uri?display=basic)
h-index: 22 (2001-2021)
Total Citations: 1227 (2001-2021)
1999: Qualified chemist profession.
2017: National Academic Qualification as Associate Professor of Organic Chemistry.
Pubblications of the last five years of VINCENZO CUNSOLO
- N. Cardullo, V. Muccilli, V. Cunsolo, C. Tringali, Mass spectrometry and 1H NMR study of Schinopsis lorentzii (Quebracho) tannins as a source of hypoglycemic and antioxidant principles, Molecules, (2020), 25, 3257. doi:10.3390/molecules25143257.
- M.A. De Santis, V. Cunsolo, M.M. Giuliani, A. Di Francesco, R Saletti, S. Foti, Z. Flagella, “Gluten proteome comparison among durum wheat genotypes with different release date”, Journal of Cereal Science 96 (2020) 103092. doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2020.103092.
- V. Cunsolo, R. Schicchi, M. Chiaramonte, L. Inguglia, V. Arizza, M.G. Cusumano, D. Schillaci, A. Di Francesco, R. Saletti, F. Lo Celso, G. Barone, M. Vitale. Identification of new antimicrobial peptides from Mediterranean medical plant Charybdis pancration (Steinh.) Speta. Antibiotics (2020), 9, 747; doi:10.3390/antibiotics9110747.
- M.G.G. Pittalà, S. Reina, S.A.M. Cubisino, A. Cucina, B. Formicola, V. Cunsolo, S. Foti, R. Salett, and A. Messina. Post-Translational Modification Analysis of VDAC1 in ALS-SOD1 Model Cells Reveals Specific Asparagine and Glutamine Deamidation. Antioxidants (2020), 9, 1218. doi:10.3390/antiox9121218.
- Diego Sbardella; Grazia Raffaella Tundo; Vincenzo Cunsolo; Giuseppe Grasso; Raffaella Cascella; Valerio Caputo; Anna Maria Santoro; Danilo Milardi; Alessandra Pecorelli; Chiara Ciaccio; Donato Di Pierro; Silvia Leoncini; Luisa Campagnolo; Virginia Pironi; Francesco Oddone; Priscilla Manni; Salvatore Foti; Emiliano Giardina; Claudio De Felice; Youssef Hayek; Paolo Curatolo; Cinzia Galasso; Giuseppe Valacchi; Massimiliano Coletta; Grazia Graziani; Stefano Marini. “Defective proteasome biogenesis into skin fibroblasts isolated from Rett Syndrome subjects with MeCP2 non-sense mutations”. BBA - Molecular Basis of Disease, in press.
- M.G.G. Pittalà, R. Saletti, S. Reina, V. Cunsolo, V. De Pinto, S. Foti: A HIGH RESOLUTION MASS SPECTROMETRY STUDY REVEALS THE POTENTIAL OF DISULFIDE FORMATION IN HUMAN MITOCHONDRIAL VOLTAGE-DEPENDENT ANION SELECTIVE CHANNEL ISOFORMS (hVDACs), International Journal of Molecular Sciences, in press.
- A. Di Francesco, R. Saletti; V. Cunsolo, B. Svensson, V. Muccilli, P. De Vita, S. Foti. Qualitative proteomic comparison of metabolic and CM-like protein fractions in old and modern wheat Italian genotypes by a shotgun approach. Journal of Proteomics, 211 (2020) 103530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2019.103530
- A. Di Francesco, R. Saletti; V. Cunsolo, B. Svensson, V. Muccilli, P. De Vita, S. Foti. Dataset of the metabolic and Chloroform-Methanol (CM)-like protein fractions in old and modern wheat Italian genotypes. Data in Brief, 27, (2019), 104730. Manuscript No.: DIB-D-19-01649R3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2019.104730
- V. Cunsolo, S. Foti. “MASS SPECTROMETRY IN PROTEOMICS” in Mass Spectrometry: An Applied Approach (ed. M. Smoluch, G. Grasso, Piotr Suder, J. Silberring) Wiley, pp. 261-272. (2019) ISBN: 9781119377306
- M. Ronci, L. Pieroni, V. Greco, L. Scotti, F. Marini, V.C. Carregari, V. Cunsolo, S. Foti, A. Aceto, A. Urbani. “Sequential Fractionation Strategy Identifies Three Missing Proteins in the Mitochondrial Proteome of Commonly Used Cell Lines”. Journal of Proteome Research (2018). DOI: 10.1021/acs.jproteome.8b00422
- E. Greco, O. El-Aguizy, M. Fouad Ali, S. Foti, V. Cunsolo, R. Saletti and E. Ciliberto. “Proteomic Analyses On an Ancient Egyptian Cheese and Biomolecular Evidence of Brucellosis”. Analytical Chemistry, 2018. DOI: 10.1021/acs.analchem.8b02535.
- A. Criscione, V. Cunsolo*, S. Tumino, A. Di Francesco, S. Bordonaro, V. Muccilli, R. Saletti, D. Marletta. “Polymorphism at donkey β-Lactoglobulin II locus: identification and characterization of a new genetic variant with a very low expression”. Amino Acids 50(6), 735-746 (2018). DOI: 10.1007/s00726-018-2555-1.
- S. Reina, R. Saletti, MG Pittalà, A. Magrì, V. Cunsolo, V. De Pinto, S. Foti. “Post-translational modifications of VDAC1 and VDAC2 cysteines from rat liver mitochondria”. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta – Bioenergetics in press (2018).
- L. Courtney Smith, V. Arizza, M.A. Barela Hudgell, G. Barone, A.G. Bodnar, K.M. Buckley, V. Cunsolo, N.M. Dheilly, N. Franchi, S. D. Fugmann, R. Furukawa, J. Garcia- Arraras, J.H. Henson, T. Hibino, Z.H. Irons, C. Li, C. Man Lun, A.J. Majeske, M. Oren, P. Pagliara, A. Pinsino, D.A. Raftos, J.P. Rast, B. Samasa, D. Schillaci, C.S. Schrankel, L. Stabili, K. Stensväg, E. Sutton. “Echinodermata: The Complex Immune System in Echinoderms” in Advances in Comparative Immunology pp 409-501 (2018). Springer Link, E. L. Cooper (ed.). DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-76768-0_13.
- V. Muccilli, N. Cardullo, C. Spatafora, V. Cunsolo, C. Tringali. “Alpha-Glucosidase inhibition and antioxidant activity of an oenological commercial tannin. Extraction, fractionation and analysis by HPLC/ESI-MS/MS and ¹H NMR”. Food Chemistry, 215: 50-60 (2017).
- S. Gallina, R. Saletti, V. Cunsolo, V. Muccilli, S. Foti. “The primary structure and glycosylation pattern of milk lactoferrins” in “Lactoferrin: Structure, Biological Functions, Health Benefits and Clinical Applications” (2017).
- V. Cunsolo*, E. Fasoli, A. Di Francesco, R. Saletti, V. Muccilli, S. Gallina, P.G. Righetti, S. Foti. “Polyphemus, Odysseus and the ovine milk proteome” Journal of Proteomics, 152: 58-74 (2017).
- R. Saletti, S. Reina, M.G.G. Pittalà, R. Belfiore, V. Cunsolo, A. Messina, V. De Pinto, S. Foti. “High resolution mass spectrometry characterization of the oxidation pattern of methionine and cysteine residues in rat liver mitochondria Voltage-Dependent Anion selective Channel 3 (VDAC3)” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1859: 301–311 (2017).
- V. Cunsolo*, R. Saletti, V. Muccilli, S. Gallina, A. Di Francesco, S. Foti. “Proteins and bioactive peptides from donkey milk: The molecular basis for its reduced allergenic properties”. Food Research International, 99: 41-57 (2017).
- T. Alberio, L. Pieroni, M. Ronci, C. Banfi, I. Bongarzone, P. Bottoni, M. Brioschi, M. Caterino, C. Chinello, A. Cormio, F. Cozzolino, V. Cunsolo, S. Fontana, B. Garavaglia, L. Giusti, V. Greco, A. Lucacchini, E. Maffioli, F. Magni, F. Monteleone, M. Monti, V. Monti, C. Musicco, G. Petrosillo, V. Porcelli, R. Saletti, R. Scatena, A. Soggiu, G. Tedeschi, M. Zilocchi, P. Roncada, A. Urbani, M. Fasano. “Towards the standardization of mitochondrial proteomics: the Italian mt-HPP initiative”. Journal of Proteome Research, DOI: 10.1021/acs.jproteome.7b00350 (2017).
- S. Gallina, V. Cunsolo, R. Saletti, V. Muccilli, A. Di Francesco, S. Foti, A.M. Lorenzten, P. Roepstorff “Sequence characterization and glycosylation sites identification of donkey milk lactoferrin by multiple enzyme digestions and mass spectrometry”, Amino Acids, 48 (7):1569-1580 (2016).
- S. Gallina, R. Saletti, V. Cunsolo, V. Muccilli, S. Foti, P. Roepstorff, M.L. Rasmussen. “Site-specific glycosylation of donkey milk lactoferrin investigated by high-resolution mass spectrometry”, Amino Acids, 48 (12): 2799-2808 (2016).
- V. Muccilli, R. Saletti, V. Cunsolo, J. Ho, E. Gili, E. Conte, S. Sichili, C. Vancheri, S. Foti “Protein profile of exhaled breath condensate determined by high resolution mass spectrometry” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 105: 134–149 (2015).
- V. Cunsolo*, E. Fasoli, R. Saletti, V. Muccilli, S. Gallina, P.G. Righetti, S. Foti “Zeus, Aesculapius, Amalthea and the proteome of goat milk”, Journal of Proteomics, 128: 69-82 (2015).
* Corresponding Author
His research activity is mainly devoted to the structural characterization of food proteins by MS-based methods. In particular, his research activity is directed to the:
- Comparative proteomics of kernel cereal proteins from different cultivars (commercials and ancients), aimed to: i) the identification of individual proteins as markers of specific phenotype; ii) elucidation of the relationships between bread making flour quality, nutritional values, cultivar physical and chemical properties and protein composition;
- Characterization of the protein fraction of milk belonging to different mammalian species, with the aim to elucidate the different protein composition, including minor proteins (the so-called “hidden proteome”). These studies are aimed to understand the relationship between the protein composition and the nutritional and allergenic properties of different milks.
- Proteomic studies of the orange pulp.
- Analyses of bioactive peptides from marine organisms.
- Characterization of protein fractions from ancient archaeological material.
- Characterization of the primary structure and post-traslational modifications in Voltage-Dependent Anion Selective Channel Proteins by High Resolution Mass Spectrometry.
- Characterization of human Proteasome in healthy and RETT subjects.
From an analytical point of view, these proteomic investigations are based on the use of highly efficient separation techniques for proteins such as reversed phase high performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) or two dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (2D-PAGE) combined with biochemical methods, enzymatic digestion and MALDI end ESI mass spectrometry in order to obtain data suitable for searching, by specific software (Mascot, ProFound, MS-Fit, etc.), genomic, protein or ESTs (expressed sequence tags) databases.
From 2003 to 2008 he has been component of the Steering Committee of the Younger Members Chemists Group of the Italian Chemical Society, as delegate for Mass Spectrometry Division.
From 2008 to 2015 he has been a component of the Steering Committee of the Mass Spectrometry Division of the Italian Chemical Society.
From 2016 to 2018 he has been a component of the Steering Committee of the Italian Proteomic Association (ItPA).
He has been member of the scientific or organizing committee of several meetings and schools.
He is referee for many international journals.